❮   back to Home

Is it worth moving to Idaho?

Offering desert landscapes, mountains, and lush forests, Idaho is a treasure trove for adventure lovers and nature enthusiasts. And it doesn't hurt that the state offers great economic opportunities as well.

Idaho has the 12th-highest homeownership rate in the nation according to the latest Census data because residents simply love it. It was also ranked by SmartAsset as one of the Best States for the Middle Class and for Homeowners. Among western states, Idaho has the cheapest cost of living, and it also has one of the highest college graduation rates in the county - almost 85%! If you’re ready to leave busy big city life behind and enjoy the great outdoors, Idaho is the place to go.

Why are Californians Moving to Idaho

Outdoor Idaho

Why is Everyone Moving to Idaho?

About Idaho

Idaho Demographics1

• Population: 1,754,208

• Median Income: $53,089

• Median Home Value: $270,963

• Average Market Rent: $1,130

• Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): Violent - 2.27%, Property - 14.61%, Total - 16.88%

Top Ten Most Expensive Idaho Cities1

1: Ketchum

2: Dalton Gardens

3: Star

4: Hailey

5: Bellevue

6: Eagle

7: Island Park

8: Sun Valley

9: Victor

10: Athol

Top Ten Highest Appreciating Idaho Cities Since 20001

1: Harrison

2: Island Park

3: Spirit Lake

4: Athol

5: Murtaugh

6: Marsing

7: Boise

8: Dover

9: Dalton Gardens

10: Coeur d'Alene

Top Ten Rising Income Idaho Cities (last 5 years)1

1: Garden City

2: Hauser

3: McCammon

4: Fairfield

5: Bonners Ferry

6: New Meadows

7: Grand View

8: American Falls

9: Harrison

10: Gooding

Top Ten Safest Idaho Cities1

1: Murtaugh

2: Island Park

3: Arco

4: Ririe

5: Roberts

6: Cottonwood

7: Malta

8: Hazelton

9: Melba

10: Hollister

Top Ten Best School Systems In Idaho1

1: Dalton Gardens

2: McCall

3: Eagle

4: Troy

5: Star

6: Moscow

7: Hayden

8: Genesee

9: Murtaugh

10: Meridian

What is Idaho Known For?

• Potatoes2

• Star Garnet Gemstones2

• Supplies the Majority of the Nation's Trout2

• State Horse: Appaloosa2

• Hells Canyon: Deepest River Gorge in North America2

• Split into 2 Time Zones2

• Snake & Columbia Rivers2

• Idaho Potato Bowl3

• 130 naturally hot springs3

• State Fruit: Huckleberries3

Famous People From Idaho4

• Aaron Paul

• Sarah Palin

• Peter Cetera

• Ezra Pound

• Sacagawea

• Lana Turner

• Scout Willis

• Bowe Bergdahl

• Picabo Street

• Jon Huntsman, Sr.

Popular Cities in Idaho1



Coeur d'Alene

Idaho Falls





Post Falls

Twin Falls



Coeur d'Alene

Idaho Falls





Post Falls

Twin Falls

Get the latest news in your inbox

Thank you!

Your submission has been received!

Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form

Californians are leaving the state at a rapid pace... and going to Idaho?

In the meantime, a new study by United Van Lines shows California is ranked among the top 10 of "most moved from states" last year, coming in at number 7. One of the hot spots people are moving to? Boise, Idaho.

Forget Portland and Seattle — people priced out of expensive California cities are buying homes in Idaho for 'Monopoly money'

Idaho is the new frontier.In its latest ranking of the best places to buy a house, Wallethub crowned Idaho's capital, Boise, No. 1. Wallethub compared 300 real-estate markets across the US on dozens of factors relating to economic health and overall attractiveness to compile its list.

I talked to 3 millennials who gave up big-city lives in California to save money and find a better work-life balance in Boise — here's how they feel about adjusting to small-town life

Forget New York City and San Francisco. Millennials are increasingly moving away from big coastal cities because of skyrocketing housing costs, Business Insider's Hillary Hoffower recently reported.

back to top